Sunday 24 September 2023

What Did I Notice About the US of A?

My brother asked me as I left to write a post about what I thought about the USA that I saw on this trip.  I love visiting the USA - my husband is an American citizen and I have often told him that I could live there easily, because there is so much to see and do, so much beauty and variety in places and people.  He always says he prefers to live in NZ and I do understand this to a certain extent - it is home for me, after all.

I have had about 8 visits to the USA since 2006.  I think it really is far more than we as NZers expect, as we have pre-formed ideas from television, news and (often loud) american visitors to NZ.  The scenery is fantastic, there are fantastical places to visit and being a tourist is soooooooo easy.  The service is generally far superior to that which is encountered in NZ.

NZers tend to visit the places we see and hear most about.  LA, Las Vegas, San Francisco, New York.  But there is so much more.  I have visited about 17 of the 50 states now and my dream Lotto travel plan would include two years visiting the rest. 

The national park system is far superior to ours, mainly, I believe, because of the fees that are charged to enter these.  It allows for a much better level of upkeep and service.  Maps are excellent, advice is excellent, both online and in person.  

So, what did I notice this time, that was different from my previous 7 visits?  

  • Homelessness.  So many more than before in both the mainland places I visited, and in Hawaii. 
  • Lots more people on some kind of drugs and out of control of themselves.  
  • A lot more division in people's perceptions of themselves as Americans - many embarrassed and ashamed, others loud and proud.
  • Ridiculous book bannings and ridiculous control of outrageous educational outcomes in different states.
Other than these points, it still remains my favourite place in the world next to home sweet home.  I don't think I have the same keenness to live there anymore, though.  Too many social problems, and I know we have them here in NZ but on a smaller scale and not so visible for the average NZer.



No comments:

Post a Comment